Tel: (675) 422 2937 Ext: 707
Fax: (675) 422 2812
Location: Academic Administration Building/ Rm #7
My Research interest is in the following areas;
- Event tourism and labour force developement
- Tourism pedagogy in higher education
- Community engagement with tourism stakeholders for sustainable development
- Assessment of hosting mega events and it's benefits to the local economy.
Ms. Nathaline Murki is a Lecturer with the Tourism and Hospitality Management department. She graduated with Masters of International Hospitality Management from Auckland University of Technology (AUT University) in New Zealand. Holds a Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education Teaching and Learning from Divine Word University, Madang. She was part of the pioneering class of the Bachelor of Tourism and Hospitality Management of Divine Word University. She also holds a Diploma in Tourism and Hospitality Management. Apart from her lecturing role, she currently Chairs the Curriculum and Assessment Committee of the Faculty of Business and Informatics. She has experience in various roles within the hotel industry, in the restaurant, front office and the accounts department.
In her career as a lecturer, she coordinates tourism community advocacy projects with students to local villages and communities within Madang district. This involved conducting tourism awareness to primary schools and local villages and communities. She also liaises with industry stakeholders for students’ work practicum and coordinates volunteer services for students with Madang based hospitality establishments. She is a certified instructor for Online Pedagogy in teaching using Moodle (Leaning Management System). Her interests are in the areas of hotel management, tourism education and training, human resource and labor development for the tourism industry, tourism and community development, sustainable development in the hospitality industry, and tourism planning and management.
- TH113 Hospitality 1
- TH211 Hospitality 2
- TH318 Hotel Management Operations
- TH321 Food and Beverage Management
- TH323 Recreation and Community Development
- TH415 Events Management
Tourism and Hospitality Management department, Lecturer and Chair to the Faculty Curriculum and Assessment Commiittee
- Jan 2011 – 2014 – Senior Tutor, Divine Word University, Madang Campus
- Jan 2008 – 2010 – Tutor, Divine Word University, Madang Campus
- Oct 2004 – Front Office and Accounts Payable Officer, Windjammer Beach Hotel, Wewak
- Jan 2004 – Accounts and Reservations Officer, Airport Lodge, Wewak
- May 2003 - Restaurant Staff/Cashier, Liamo Reef Resort, Kimbe
- Council for Australasian Tourism and Hospitality Education (CAUTHE)
- AUT Alumni- Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
- DWU Alumni Association- Madang Chapter, Divine Word University, Papua New Guinea
AWARDS & HONORS
- Master of International Hospitality Management – (MIHM) AUT University, Auckland, New Zealand. 2014
- Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Teaching and Learning – (PGCHETL) Divine Word University, Madang, Papua New Guinea. 2011
- Bachelor of Tourism and Hospitality Management – (BaTHM) Divine Word University, Madang, Papua New Guinea. 2008
Teaching Excellence Award – Divine Word University, Tourism and Hospitality Management – Faculty of Business and Informatics: In recognition of your demonstrated excellence in teaching and student learning, 2019
Certificate of Attendance – Divine Word University; Center for Learning and Teaching: For Participating in the Workshop, Teaching Tertiary Students English Writing Skills, 2018
Certificate of Recognition – Divine Word University Faculty of Business and Informatics: In recognition of your contribution as an Active member of Faculty Curriculum and Assessment Committee, 2017
Certificate of Participation – Divine Word University; Faculty of Business and Informatics: In recognition of your Participation in the Faculty of Business and Informatics Research Training, 2017
Certificate of Recognition – Divine Word University: In recognition of being nominated by students for the DWU Teaching Excellence Awards, 2016
Certificate of Attendance – Australian Alumni Association: For successfully completing the Professional Development Training on Managing People in Organisations, 2015
Certificate of Participation (Badge) – University of British Columbia Okanagan & Divine Word University: For successfully completing the required studies on Online Pedagogy of Teaching and meeting the University’s established standards for Moodle Training, 2015
- Uiari, V. & Murki, N. (2021). 2018 APEC Summit and National Pride: An Emerging Finding and Using In-Depth Interviews. Business, Tourism and Informatics Symposium, DWU, Madang.
- Murki, N. (2020) Event-tourism labour-force-development: Preliminary findings from the 2018 APEC summit in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. Proceedings of the Council for Australasian Tourism and Hospitality Education Conference, Auckland, New Zealand. https://www.cauthe2020.org/call-for-papers
- Murki, N. Y. S (2014). Challenges of training tourism and hospitality workers in Papua New Guinea. (Unpublished masters dissertation). Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand. Retrieved from https://openrepository.aut.ac.nz/handle/10292/8334.
- Imbal, J., & Murki, N. (2010). An application of the 2010 DWU cultural day celebrations: Implications for event management. Contemporary PNG Studies: DWU Research Journal, 13 (2), 94-109.
- Lakoa, F., Imbal, J., Uiari, V., Murki, N., & Goodyear, E. (2010). An application of minimum spanning trees to travel planning. Contemporary PNG Studies: DWU Research Journal, 12 (1), 1-11.