Joined Faculty of Medicine UPNG in 1984 as a Teaching Fellow in Pharmacology. Completed Masters of Science degree in Clinical Pharmacology, University of Aberdeen, UK in 1986. Completed 2-years research program in Molecular biology and molecular/biochemical pharmacology at the Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Japan, 1988-1989. Completed 2-years of research program in halofantrine antimalarial drug at the University of Liverpool and the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, UK, 2001-2003. Completed my doctoral degree by research in 2002 and awarded Doctor of Medicine (MD) by UPNG in 2003. Presently, Vice President of Divine Word University Rabaul Campus.
- Unit: Research Methodology – Department of Nursing St. Mary’s Vunapope Campus
Professor of Health Research and Vice President DWU- Rabaul Campus.
- Professor of health Research & Director of Centre for Health Research & Diagnostics 2010-2016
- Joined DWU in July 2006. Dean and Professor of Faculty of Health Sceinces 2007-2009.
- PNG Medical Society
- Executive member of Public Health Association of PNG
AWARDS & HONORS
- Toshihiro Mita, Francis Hombhanje, Nobuyuki Takahashi, Makoto Sekihara, Masato Yamauchi, Takahiro Tsukahara3 Akira Kaneko, Hiroyoshi Endo, Jun Ohashi. Rapid selection of sulphadoxine resistant Plasmodium falciparum its effect on within-population genetic diversity in Papua New Guinea. Scientific Reports (2018) 8:5565 | DOI:10.1038/s41598-018-23811-
- Takahiro Tsukahara, Takuma Sugahara, Takuro Furusawa, and Francis Wanak Hombhanje. Comparison of Health Service Utilization for Febrile Children Before and After Introduction of Malaria Rapid Diagnostic Tests and Artemisinin-Based Combination Therapy in Rural Papua New Guinea. Front. Public Health 2018, 6:75-82. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2018.00075
- Yosuke Inoue Daichi Takahashi Naoki Kondo Akiko Yoshii Makoto Sekihara, Francis W Hombhanje Takahiro Tsukahara. Village health volunteers’ individual social capital and caretakers’ health service utilization for febrile children in Malaria-endemic villages in Papua New Guinea. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg; 2017, 111: 490-496, https://doi.org/10.1093/trstmh/try003
- Clement Morris Manineng, David MacLaren, Maggie Baigry, Emil Trowalle, Reinhold Muller, Andrew Vallely, Patrick Gesch, Francis Hombhanje, William John McBride. Re-establishing safer medical-circumcision integrated initiation ceremonies for HIV prevention in a rural setting in Papua New Guinea: A multi-method acceptability study. PLoS ONE, 2017, 12: e0187577. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0187577
- Kuzma Jerzy, Hombhanje Francis. Chronic Osteomyelitis - Bacterial Flora, Antibiotic Sensitivity and Treatment Challenges. The Open Orthopaedics Journal, 2018, 12: 153-163. DOI: 10.2174/1874325001812010153
Tokyo Women’s University, Japan
Juntendo University School of Medicine, Japan