Department of Sciences
Mathematics, Sciences and Basic Technology play a critical role in many aspects of our lives and have proven to be a powerful engine for economic growth. These fields better prepare students to meet the rigor required to better understand the world around us and are essential to strengthen our ability to innovate, which, together, yield opportunities to enrich the lives of many citizens.
The Department of Sciences strives to provide a rich, stimulating and supportive learning environment in which students, staff and students work together to achieve a common goal as stipulated in the Divine Word University philosophy. To better prepare our students to meet the challenges of the 21st century, we provide programs and mechanisms so that students can learn fundamentals in the classroom and be engaged in various activities for a common good of the department and the Divine Word University. The Department of Sciences is committed to offer opportunities for inspired and engaged teaching in an academic setting that puts students first.
The Department of Sciences aspires to offer pre-service teachers the quality and relevant mathematics education, science education and basic life skills and computer knowledge which will serve as part of a foundation for life-long endeavor in achieving their professional and academic desires. Overall, our vision is guided by the intent to improve the quality of educational courses and practice impacting the acquisition of mathematics education, science education, and the life skills and technology courses we are offering to pre-service teachers.
The Department of Science’s programs focus on issues of educational practice and related professions in mathematics, science, and technology, including the relationships among these disciplines and others. Our modern world has been transformed by the achievements in pure and applied disciplines grounded in mathematics, science and technology. Current reforms in education place increasing significance on broad-based public understanding of these three fields of human endeavor. Within this unifying view, the Department of Sciences includes specialized programs to address the needs of professional practitioners in each area.
The mission of the Department of Sciences is to:
• offer high-quality undergraduate programs that develop well-educated teachers and professionals
• continually assess and refine all of the department’s undergraduate programs
• provide a variety of professional development and outreach programs, for teachers and students, in support of the teaching and learning of mathematics, science, and basic life skills and computing
• serve and advocate for the teaching and learning needs of the society
• maintain a leadership role and improve current leadership activities within each program
• enable students and graduates the opportunity to develop their own leadership skills
• conduct cutting-edge research on significant issues.