Cyril Sarsoruo is a lecturer in the Department of Mathematics and Computing Science. He holds a Masters in Theoretical Mathematics from the University of Silesia in Poland. He has a Bachelor Degree in Mathematics and Computing Science, a postgraduate certificate in higher education teaching and learning and a certified CCNA 1 instructor. Cyril teaches all levels Calculus, Discrete Mathematics, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Abstract Algebra and Real Analysis. He also teaches computing science units of Structured Programming, Object Oriented Programming, Data Structures, System Development and cisco networking systems units. His research interest lies in Pure Mathematics in the discipline of Real and Functional analysis. He is passionate and dedicated to changing young adults to become productive citizens.
History of units taught:
- MC409 Human Computer Interactions
- MC408 Research Project and Presentation
- MC315 Abstract Algebra
- MC314 Differential Equations
- MC215 Calculus 3
- MC214 Systems Analysis and Design
- MC312 Computer networks (CCNA 1)
- MC212 Object Oriented Programming
- MC309 Mathematical Modelling
- MC213 Data Structures
- MC203 Linear Algebra
- MC202 Real and Complex Analysis
- MC118 Applied Discrete Mathematics
- IS208 Mathematics for Computing 2
Head of Department and Senior Lecturer, Department of Mathematics and Computing Science
- 2022 - Present: Lecturer 1 at Mathematics and Computing Science Department of Divine Word University
- 2019 - 2021: Lecturer at Mathematics and Computing Science Department of Divine Word University
- January 2014- 2015: Teaching Fellow at Mathematics and Computing Science Department of Divine Word University
- Work experience with PNGUNRE IT Department at their Main Campus in Rabaul in 2009(6 weeks).
- Telikom Madang in 2010 (6 weeks) and tutoring at DWU MCS dept. 2013 semester 2 (15 weeks).
- Member of the PNG Mathematical Society (Feb 2014-current)
- PNG Christian Professional Network Inc.(2020-current)
- Masters in Theorethical Mathematics (Poland)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics and Computing Science
AWARDS & HONORS
- Ignacy Łukasiewicz Scholarship for 3 years Master’s Degree Program in Poland (completed)
“Predicting the Spread of COVID‑19 in PNG using SIR Model Incorporating Quarantine and Testing.” FBI Staff 3rd Research Symposium December 10, 2021.
“Important building blocks of Pure Mathematics for teachers and students at undergraduate level in Papua New Guinea.” FBI Staff 2nd Research Symposium December 11, 2020.
“Random variables and convex functions in Stochastic Orderings with its Applications in Mathematics.” FBI Staff 2nd Research Symposium December 13, 2019.
“Simulating a Lognormal Distribution: A Monte Carlo method. “C.Sarsoruo & P.K Anderson.
2nd International Conference on Pure and Applied Mathematics, University of Goroka December 8-12, 2014.
- Manineng, C., Sarsoruo, C., Scheule, E., Gibbs, P. (2021). Prevailing divergent views regarding COVID-19 vaccine among Divine Word University students and implications for countering SARS-CoV-2 in Papua New Guinea. DWU Research Journal. Vol. 36 Nov. 2021.
- Sarsoruo, C,. (2020). Random variables and convex functions in Stochastic orderings with its applications in mathematics. DWU: Informatics E- Journal vol. 3
- Sarsoruo, C, Gebo, R, Anderson, P (2019). Simulating a Lognormal Distribution: A Monte Carlo method. DWU: Informatics E- Journal vol. 1.
Coordinating and supervising MCS final year students research projects and presentations.
- Professor Ram Bilas Misra (India)
- Dr hab. Tomasz Szostok (Poland)
- Dr. Mila. Gena (PNG)