Elisabeth Schuele holds a Doctor of Public Health (DrPH) from Flinders University, Adelaide and MSc in Health Services Management (HSM) from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM). She is a coordinating the Master of Public Health program. Dr Schuele worked in Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia and Myanmar, which resulted in a compassion for Primary Health Care and equitable delivery of quality primary health services. She also has experience as a public health consultant in Germany and low-middle income countries. Her research interest focuses on qualitative public health research and strengthening health systems.
- Global Health Systems
- Social Determinants of Health and Wellbeing
- Public Health Leadership and Management
- Qualitative Research
- MPH Dissertation
- Since 2020: Faculty Research Coordinator
- Since November 2018: Senior Lecturer, Public Health Leadership & Training
- January 2008 – May 2017: Public Health Consultant, German Institute for Medical Mission (DIFAEM), Tübingen, Germany
- DIFAEM Tropical Medicine and Public Health course, Tübingen, Germany: Project management; Participatory methods for health projects
- Guest lecturer:
- 2015-2017: Institute for Biological Chemistry and Nutrition, University of Hohenheim, Germany; Master in Global Nutrition: Qualitative research methods
- 2014: Marburger Bildungs- und Studienzentrum (mbs), Marburg, Germany/UNISA South Africa; Masters in Development Studies & Transformation: Project design fostering sustainable development
- 2013-2014: University of Gondar and Bahir Dar, Ethiopia; Postgraduate Studies; in cooperation with the Public Health Department, University Heidelberg: Learning and Action: Tools for Community Development
- February 2007, November 2006–December 2006: HIV and AIDS Consultant, Red een Kind (Help a Child) Netherlands
- June 2005-December 2005: Interim Country Representative, World Concern Myanmar
- January 2006-March 2006; September 2002- May 2005: Technical Advisor, HIV and AIDS and community health development programmes, World Concern, Myanmar
- September 1997-August 2000: Technical Advisor, Health Services and Training Department, Somali National Regional State Health Bureau, Jigjiga, Ethiopia
- July 1994-January 1995: Medical Coordinator, Partners in Development, North Eastern District, Somalia
- March 1992-August 1993: Nurse, Primary Health Care project, Society of International Ministries (SIM), Wajir, North Eastern Province, Kenya
- March 1991-August 1992: Nurse, Primary Health Care project, Africa Inland Church, Titila, Tana River District, Kenya
- Public Health Association Australia (PHAA)
- PNG Medical Association
- Executive Member of CAPHIA (Council of Academic Public Health Institutions in Australasia)
- Doctor of Public Health (DrPH), Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
- MSc Health Services Management, London School of Hygiene & Tropical
- Medicine (LSHTM), UK
AWARDS & HONORS
2019 DWU Research Excellency
- Schmitt, R., Fuelle, J., Schuele, E., Scherbaum, V. Eating habits of asylum seekers: between tradition and adaption. DGE Kongress, Stuttgart, Germany. March 2018.
- Schuele, E. & Griffiths, M. Susceptibility Factors of Youth to HIV/AIDS. Conference Proceedings, XV International AIDS Conference, Bangkok. July 2004
- Hall, J., Ambang, T., Asante, A., Mapari, P., Craig, A., Schuele, E. & Iqpal, M. (2019). Poliomyelitis outbreak in Papua New Guinea: health system and security implications for PNG and Australia. Manuscript accepted. Medical Journal of Australia. DOI:10.5694/mja2.50283.
- Schmitt R, Fülle J, Abou Risk J, Al-Sayed L, Masserrat N, Schuele E, Scherbaum V (2019). Nutritional habits of female asylum seekers – from tradition to adaptation. Ernaehrungs Umschau 66(3): 45–51. The English version: DOI: 10.4455/eu.2019.010.
- Schuele, E., Kunze, C. & Kroeck, T. (2018). Boys treated as gold, girls as silver:
Obstacles to gender equality in health care for children under five years of age in Bihar, India. Intersections: Gender and Sexuality in Asia and the Pacific, Issue 42. http://intersections.anu.edu.au/issue42/schuele_et-al.html
- Schmitt, R., Fuelle, J., Abou-Rizk, J., Al-Sayed, L., Messerat, N, Schuele, E., Scherbaum, V. (2018) Ernaehrungegewohnheiten von asylsuchenden Frauen im Fruehjahr 2017 in Stuttgart – von Tradition zur Adaption. In progress.
- Kunze, C., Schuele, E., Kroeck, T. (2018). Boys treated as gold, girls as silver: obstacles in gender equality in health care for children under-five in Bihar, India. Submitted for publication.
- Schuele, E. & Berner Rodoreda, A. (2010). HIV & AIDS, Gender and Domestic Violence: Implication for policy and practice. Deutsches Institut für Ärztliche Mission, Tübingen, Brot für die Welt, Stuttgart.
- Schuele, E. (2008). Internal Mobility and Vulnerability to HIV in Myanmar, Kachin State: Implications for HIV and AIDS Policy and Practice. Department of Public Health, Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia. https://trove.nla.gov.au/version/32108245.
- Theuss, M. & Schuele, E. (2007). The “Modern Disease” – Risk and HIV & AIDS in the context of mobility. World Concern, Myanmar.